How Often Should I Have My Shingle Roof Inspected
Shingle roofs are a common feature in homes. They add function and value to your home and come with a wide range of benefits. For instance, they are cost effective, come in a wide range of colors and styles, are energy efficient, and can be recycled as well. However, one question that is pondered upon the most by homeowners is how often they should have their shingle roof inspected. This question is surely a valid one. Roof shingles require proper maintenance and care, especially if you wish to prolong their life span for another 5 – 10 years or so. They are an investment and you want to reap the maximum benefit.
We have put together a comprehensive list of details that are enough to provide you with all the insight on shingle roofs. How often do they require an inspection, the signs of damage to look out for, and who to contact in case of repair and maintenance?
How Often Should You Inspect Your Shingle Roof?
There are several instances when you surely need to have a look at your shingle roof and inspect it thoroughly. This can be done by you or you can hire a professional service provider who can get the job done with precision and accuracy. Here are some of the times when having your shingle roof inspected is a must.
● Every 6 months on average regardless of any harsh weather incidents
● After a heavy rainfall that comes with strong winds. Most roof shingles can withstand strong winds, but you should still give them a look to be on the safe side
● Post snowstorms or hail
● During the hot summer months or harsh winter months. This is when roof shingles are most prone to cracking under extreme temperatures
Can You Prolong The Lifespan Of A Shingle Roof With Proper Inspection?
The answer is yes! On average roof shingles can last for 20 – 30 years. This can however be prolonged given proper maintenance and care. The first on the list for this is having your shingle roof inspected in regular intervals. This call pull up the average lifespan by up to 5 – 10 years, maybe even more! Let’s look at some of the tips you can follow to ensure this.
How To Make Your Shingle Roof Last Longer
● Invest in a shingle roof that comes with a warranty. Also, have it installed by a reliable and professional service provider – one that offers repairs and inspections as well.
● Keep your gutters clean. Accumulation of dirt and debris can damage your shingle roof and lead to potential mold outbreaks underneath.
● Be sure to inspect your shingle roof on a periodic basis i.e. twice a year at minimum. This should only take 20 minutes of your time on average.
● Hire a professional service provider for your shingle roof inspection after storms and heavy rainfall.
● Have insurance coverage in place for your shingle roof
Shingle Roof Wear and Tear– The Signs to Look Out for
You want to inspect your roof shingles frequently. But, there are specific areas you want to keep your eye on. Here is a checklist of things you can have a look at to rule out the need for repair or maintenance.
● A leak in your roof or attic after a heavy spell of rain
● Clogged vents
● A mold outbreak in your attic or along the sides of your roof
● Blown off shingles, especially after a storm
● Missing or peeled flashings
● Damaged or broken deck
● A sagging roof
● Wearing off of the sealant on the shingles
● Partially or fully blown off shingles from your roof – this is a common occurrence post heavy winds and rainfall
● Curling of the shingles
● Shingles with cracks or dents in them
If you notice any of these signs it is best to call in professional roofing service and have it repaired immediately. Failure to do so can lead to long term costs such as an entire roof replacement. Roof replacements can be expensive and time consuming. Hence, having your shingle roof inspected twice a year and getting it repaired right away is a wise decision going forward.
The Bottom Line
If you live in moderate climates, then a mandatory inspection every 6 months should suffice. However, having your shingle roof inspected is key in prolonging its lifespan.
If you are looking for a professional roofing service near you that offers shingle roof installation or inspections, then KY-KO Roofing in Phoenix, Arizona, is here to help out. Our technicians are skilled and certified in installing roof shingles in the most effective manner. Call us today and book a free roof inspection.